.

.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Thoughts from the Gipper


A wonderful thought popped into my head today as I heard an old song, one from my days in Europe. I think it was on the requisite cheesy video chronicling the semester. I don’t know what awaits Jack in his brand new life, but I know at least some of what he’ll see will be astounding. It will change his life. I’m beyond excited for him. I’m thinking specifically of faraway places he’ll read about in dull history books that don’t and can’t do them justice.

I read a quote yesterday from Ronald Reagan where he said "Each generation goes further than the generation preceding it because it stands on the shoulders of that generation. You will have opportunities beyond anything we've ever known."

I hope Jack will get to all the places his old man did, and even more. Places even further afield, and even more stunning than the ones I’ve seen. Anyway, it was a striking thought to me, and one that all parents must have sometime or other.

3 comments:

Ashley said...

Love the blog...I read a lot of parent's blogs, but always from the mother's perspective. A father's take is most interesting! Hope all is well.

Ashley :)

Emily said...

I hope you can keep up the nautical theme because I love it! The blog is awesome!

Emily

El Comodoro said...

Hey thanks guys, and don't worry the nautical theme will be administered with Captain Bligh-type ruthlessness. Very glad you like it! I'll try to spruce it up with some video et cetera soon.

I never thought about most blogs being mommy-authored, but it's a point taken. I'll try to keep the lowdown from the dude side of things as non-offensive as I can...