.

.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

General Quarters

I promised someone a more positive post this week. But more positive doesn't mean it can't be weird! Maybe this will give you a little flavor of our lives in the past week or so.

And you may find yourself in another part of the world.
I hastily sailed myself back over to the Port of Mobile last Friday, where I found Her Majesty and the Captain diverting themselves by playing croquet, singing The Wheels on the Bus and hanging mutineers. They were very pleased at my report on the goings on at Home Port, which were significant, let me just tell you. It was decided to sail back to Houston on Sunday, and we had a very VERY favorable wind to speed the Chevy Longboat towards home. When he was awake, Jack was a trooper, and seemed not too bothered to be dragged all over the southern United States by his refugee parents.

Ah, I almost forgot an announcement I was instructed to pass along:
ATTENTION ON DECK. THE CAPTAIN HAS RETURNED TO HOME PORT. THAT IS ALL.

You may find yourself living in a shotgun shack.
Well, he got darned close to Home Port, at least. We finally knuckled under and rented an apartment down on Washington that is quite literally, on the other side of the tracks. More properly, it's on the other side of other side of the tracks. It's a nice enough place, but the train horn will just about deafen you if you're lucky enough to be outside as one of the 1,862 daily freight trains pass. It's not to be missed. I worry that Jack will now grow up to be a hobo. Or a train robber. Or a train-robbing hobo.

And you may tell yourself, "This is not my beautiful house!"
Melanie took pretty well the shock of seeing her semi-former home trashed to high heaven, considering part of it's ripped down to the studs and soaked in Clorox. We did what we could to prepare for the movers, and after they removed the furnishings to the cargo hold, we're all set to renovate. I think.

And you may ask yourself, "Well, how did I get here?"
Even though we're a bit dazed now, there's at least the awesomeness (you heard me) of seeing Jack much more alert now, and smiling lots more. I don't really ask him the reason for his jocularity, I just go with it. Because I don't want to know. Actually, because I already know.

And you may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile.
Jack LOVES his BOB hansom, and turns downright narcoleptic when he gets pushed around all over creation. Incidentally, if you find yourself moving into apartments/dorm rooms, you pre-children folks would do well to borrow one of these things. It's awfully handy, and way cleaner than a pack mule.

And you may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"
Another of the Captain's favorite activities is a good hard kick workout on the Baby Einstein playmat. I had never been exposed to the playmat phenomenon before, but these things are, well, genius (but you knew that from the name). Imagine if you had a big soft comforter, with all kinds of animals or shapes colorfully illustrated on it, and 2 crossbars with plush animals and toys and rattles hanging from it. It plays music, flashes lights, and it probably makes a good cup of coffee. I mean, this is the nuclear option in baby diversionary tactics. Best 15 bucks ever spent on resale, hands down. So the baby's job is to lie there and be entertained. And exercise. And learn cognitive skills. I guess it's equivalent to watching opera on a treadmill. While we're on the subject, Jack is into toys far more than when his absentee father last saw him. Stuffed puppy dogs, giraffes, monkeys, and ducks are all included in the faux-menagerie we've started.

Into the blue again, after the money's gone.
I can't describe how glad I am to have the family all within the same state line again. So I won't. But it's good. Really good.

1 comment:

Jacklyn said...

FYI: You may think the Washington Ave.(West End) is ghetto but this area has homes/townhomes/condos worth much more these days.