.

.

Saturday, July 11, 2009

Shore Leave!

I remember those places you would stroll into at 2:20 in the afternoon that would have impromptu signs stuck up (with no one in sight) that said "Back at 1:00." This post pretty much serves that purpose.

Before you hassle the crew about not providing an entertaining, goofy anecdote this week, keep in mind that we have gone a'beaching in Alabama. You know, vacation. Holiday. Time off. Shore leave. Taking time away. R&R. Furlough. E.C. had plumb forgot about this concept. So some folks actually pack up lawn chairs, a cooler, the chilrun and all their polyester and head to see the Biggest Ball of Twine in Minnesota. For fun. Novel, huh?

So today we dragged our sleepy, not nearly caffeinated enough carcasses across yon southeastern US of A. My personal highlights today were the forest fire (Mississippi) and jamming to K-BON as we rolled thru (over, really) the Atchafalaya Swamp (uh CHAF lie uh). Oh, K-BON is so great. Half 'n half Accadian French / English commercials and DJs, and the squeeze box rich sounds of south Louisiana. And the occasional, oddly placed Randy Travis song. K-BON managed to do in 5 minutes what 1 hour of Beethoven and a singalong CD couldn't. Accordion-induced narcolepsy? Seriously?

So someone turned the knob to 'VACATION' and yanked the darn thing right off.

No, Mr. Uncle Blake, I don't have pictures. Or video. I'm even borrowing my current PC privileges, okay? Don't you have to go be a slouchy vagrant in some European city now?!

So in the words of Hollywood's serial girlfriend, Sheryl Crow, "Hello it's me, I'm not at home / If you'd like to reach me, leave me alone."

No comments: