.

.

Monday, August 3, 2009

Because It's There.*

Someone once said, "I don't cut a record 'less I got something to say." By that logic, I probably shouldn't be posting this at all.

'Cause I don't have anything to say lately. But by golly, Jack does.
H.M.: "What does the dog say? What does Belle say?"
Jack: "Bow wow wow. Wow."
H.M.: "What does the kitty cat say?"
Jack: "Meeeeeeeee!"
H.M.: "What does the cow say?"
Jack: "Muuuuuh!"
As he opens the mysterious and alluring Forbidden Drawer, he even scolds himself as he's opening it, yelling "No, no, no!" At least there's a touch of conscience in there somewhere.

Oh, so he's climbing, too. And running around in these. And rigging up his crib with ropes, carabiners and Munter hitches.

I expected the whole Sir Edmund Hillary, scaling tall objects part to come after the walking part. But no, Jack (and his Sherpa guide Belle) pull out the bottom drawer on the oven to use as base camp for a summit attempt. It gets pretty tense when Jack uses the oven lock lever as his only handhold. Reminds me of Stallone in Cliffhanger.

It's a long, long way down.

*Thanks to British mountaineer George Leigh Mallory for the title. This was his pithy response to a reporter's question, "Why do you want to climb Mount Everest?"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess the Captain heard there's a hiking trip planned and he's not going to be the unprepared one! Buy the boots, not the child-carrier back-pack!

Jennifer said...

I can't believe how big he's getting! So cute!