.

.

Sunday, November 29, 2009

Thank You, God

“…the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.” -Tolkien
If you haven't read the charming little children's book, Thank You, God, put it on your to-read list.  It'll take you about 3 minutes, and is proof that a simple rhyme for kids can even be a meaningful prayer for us grownups.  Anyway, let me tell you why El Comodoro is particularly thankful this week.

By the grace of God Almighty, I am leaving the toxic red ore of the Cinnabar Mines behind.  I signed up at Greener Pastures Capital, LP as their Chief Factotum.  And I am happy.  Happy and profoundly relieved.  Almost as relieved as when I left the soulless, devil-worshiping pagans at my first real job.  I don't think Faust himself would cut a deal with those guys.  On that cold, sunny December day, I walked down Ross Avenue and felt as if a Volkswagen had been lifted off me.  But that's another story.

In practical terms, with unemployment heading north of 10% (and over 17% by some measures), all this is welcome news.  And not just because my mortgage gets paid for another month, either.  Greener Pastures has the potential of being quite literally the perfect place for me.  Perfect.  I probably just jinxed it.

So, you see why I thought it strikingly appropriate that Thanksgiving fell when it did.  My thoughts are usually more coherent during times like this, so I apologize for this being so fragmented.  There's been so much going on, with every issue seemingly of great import to our family.
 
Over the past many months, I've asked God for wisdom to know the right path to take.  I've asked that He would lead our family to the right place (and that we'd recognize it when we saw it!).  I think about the working of God's Will (a.k.a. Providence) a lot.  To me, it's an incredibly interesting subject.  For further reading, see my ill-fated little essay on Robinson Crusoe.  And if you really want to tangle your mind, dig into determinism versus free will.  And watch this.  And go read this.  And this.

But after this wonderful thing has happened, at precisely the right time, I find it harder and harder to be articulate in my thanks to God.  How many times can you say thank you?  How many ways?  I struggle with that.  And I feel like praying with Roget's Thesaurus.  Would that even help?

Maybe just trying to be grateful is the answer.  Living your life well, gratefully.

I am certainly grateful.  And happy.  I think I said that already.  But first things first.  Tomorrow the mercury-laden dust flies down at the mines.

Thank you, God.

5 comments:

Donna said...

What a wonderful Thanksgiving for you guys! Congratulations to you and to Green Pastures- sounds like it's kismet. A match made in heaven as it were. :)

Anonymous said...

So many things to be thankful for!! Many congratulations!!

Jennifer Reinsch said...

That is absolutely wonderful. Congratulations! I know that brings great peace of mind in your family.

Anonymous said...

attaboy Morgan. congrats.
gentry

Anonymous said...

Way to go Morgan. I know all too well how God's plan is sometimes most difficult to hear, especially when it is blairing in your face. He truly provides when we have ears to hear. Hope to see you soon and let me know if/when you guys are going to GS, maybe we can meet at Papadale's. Stephen