.

.

Monday, December 27, 2010

Journey to the Center of ARKANSAS

I'm remiss.  You know, for not posting.  I could fill about 24 single spaced pages with the past week or two.  Where to start?  How to catch up?  The Harding U trip was a...  well, it was a trip.  Was our first time back to the alma mater in a decade-plus.  The one horse town we left back in the 1990s has got itself properly moved on up to the East Side:  They have a Chili's.

The first night at the hotel, Jack had the privilege of sleeping on a big boy, adult (fold-out couch) bed.  We finally got him down, and everyone was adios for the night.  Until I launch out of bed at 11pm after hearing a massive thud.  Jack had fidgeted himself right out of his huge expanse of bedding material, right onto the floor.  He hits the carpet hard, but rubs his eyes and never wakes up even as I shovel him back into bed.  The parents both agree, we'd now take this dude with us to Thailand, Uzbekistan, or Costa Rica.  This brother is a TravelBaby.

Besides the Chili's, there's a hibachi grill.  No kidding.  With real-deal Japanese folks running it.  Question:  How do you end up in the dead middle of ARKANSAS from JAPAN?  That's a long, long, llllloooooonnnngggg way, last I checked.  Jack really digged (dug?) the flames and the obligatory choo-choo onion trick.  FAYWAH! [Fire!] was all he could say forever.  I'm thinking that showing him 3-foot high towers of flame might have awakenened something best left sleeping.  Time will tell, but I'm buying asbestos jammies immediately.

The idea later that night was to go look at the neato Christmas lights on campus, but what actually happened was Jack (again) eating pavement and spitting lots of the red stuff out of a blackened, pfabat libbup.  My venomous quote as we hastily left the scene:  "I'll get you, Harding!"

The whole point was to take Jack to witness Uncle Blake graduate.  But the real show was taking Jack over to the college house.  Did I mention that they've got a full drum set, guitars, amps, and a mic?  Jack rocked (YAOUD!) with the two uncles for at least an hour, and ended up on the drums pounding the toms and the cymbal like it was his job.  That's right, my two year old, on the drums.  Ridiculous.  Everyone erupts with laughter and screaming when he nails the cymbal, and he throws up the touchdown, I AM A ROCKSTAR IN DIAPERS pose with the drumsticks.  I think I had as much fun snapping photos as he did.  Maybe not.  The highlight of the jam session was Uncle Jay's impromptu skaa Jingle Bells mixed into some Sublime.

TravelBaby was such a trooper on every flight to and from, but we figured our luck would eventually run out.  So thanks to the magic of iEverything, I loaded The Sound of Music on my phone for the plane ride back.  Genius move on our part, and a huge hit with the Frequent Flyer Sprog.  I recommend it.  Anyway, the dude was so tuckered out after we hit Houston that we couldn't wake him up from his nap. Shook him, turned on lights, we talked to him, but he simply withstood every method.

Had a great Christmas.  Jack got toys.  Shocker, I know.  I'll try to outline all the egregious gift action later on.

So later on, then.

No comments: