.

.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Children and Affluence

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.  --Philippians 4:8, KJV
I read very slowly.  If it's really good stuff, I roll the language around in my head and ponder and reread and get caught up in some tangential thought and return eventually to read and reread again.  It's a messy, frustrating way to do it, but it's mine.  I can (consciously) speed up but I eventually drift down to "normal" again.

And I take in books almost literally, as the books I read become part of me forever.  I think about some books almost daily, though I read them years ago.  That's one reason book selection is very, very important to me.  And maybe it should be to you.  You can't read them all.  So which ones make the list?

Not saying you have to read Kierkegaard every day; I certainly don't.  I er, actually just finished a certain aging guitarist's autobiography, come to think of it...  But by reading, are you taking the elemental stuff in, or are you giving pieces of yourself (and time) away cheaply?

Waitaminute.  I've just convinced you not to fritter away your life on schlocky dad blogs.  Forget everything I said!

Anyway, back to my point.  One book I read a good while ago made roughly this observation:

In the West, we have fewer children, and later, because we've discovered that by doing so, we increase our affluence.

If that's true, it scares the pants clean off me.  Is it?  Has our materialism and self-centeredness really gone that far?  Do people think, explicitly or otherwise, in those terms?

Discuss amongst yourselves.

And no, I'm not going to tell you which book.  Makes no difference.

1 comment:

Donna said...

You know where we stand on that. And YES- every time I've gotten pregnant every Western stranger in the world reminds me of the "pricetag" of children and how "you will never retire". It's so sad b/c children are literally the only thing we have that we can take with us to heaven.