.

.

Monday, June 20, 2011

The Post-Father's Day Reader

Once the line was cast, we popped open our Dr Peppers, listened to the rhythms of the wind and the water lapping against the boat, and the hours that passed opened up their marrow. --Tim Dalrymple
The events of FAHVUH's Day weekend have still got me beat.  I.  Am.  Exhausted.

But hey, I got a book* and (no fooling) a BASEBALL GLOVE from Majesty and Jack!  So awesome.  Oh, and a card that screams out Sammy Hagar's I Can't Drive 55.  I just want to say that having a day for presents in late June just blows my mind.  (My BUHFDAY is in the fall.)  This dad thing has got an upside after all.

So I give you a Post-Father's Day Reader.  Neither article is overly long, and I hope you enjoy them as much as I did.

You might have heard already about Mr. Thomas S. Vander Woude.  His horrific choice becomes the ultimate illustration of fatherhood itself:


Next, I give you Tim Dalrymple's piece about his father, being a father, and some not-so-obvious gift ideas.  By the way, if you don't read everything Tim Dalrymple writes, you're the poorer for it.  The story is posted on his personal blog:


A quick Jack story for you:
Last night H.M. tells me about putting Jack down for the night.  They had made it through storytime.  Jack always hates when storytime's over, and pleads for more books to be read.  The Mommy puts the lamp out as he fusses, and says, "No, Jack, it's dark - and what do we do when it's dark?"  She was fishing for the painfully obvious answer of, "We go to sleep."

What she got, however, was Jack saying flatly in the darkness, "We turn on the WIGHT!"

Like, duh, old people.

*Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell.  Looks to be just wicked crazy awesome so far.  Couldn't put the thing down last night.

1 comment:

BB Tucker said...

Jack...he's right you know, and perceptive beyond his age. The "we turn on the wite" goes with "it is better to light one candle than curse the darkness". Best I can figure, that saying came from a Chinese proverb. The proverb came before the English adverb, I believe. Ask Jack, he'll know.
If we're still and quiet, and don't fall asleep too soon, the children will show us the way.