.

.

Monday, July 18, 2011

Growing Up (And Down)

One thing that throws me about seeing Peter Pan on the stage is that girls are always cast to play Pan.  The other convention y'all have no doubt seen is that Tinkerbell is always "played" by a (usually annoying) flickering spotlight, accompanied by (irritating) jingling music or some equivalent noise.  Yes, I know Barrie's classic was originally in play form.

Jack is obsessed with Peter Pan.  And he went about it the right way, too.  We've been reading slices of a fat Disney storybook and he immediately loved Peter Pan.  I was changing him at one point over the weekend, and he was driving me almost completely insane.  Kept serially chattering WendyJohnandMichael enough to make me start twitching uncontrollably.  I fixed him up, sent him on his way, and he was finally quiet.  Until I heard, very plainly:

"I'm not going to grow up.  And I'm not going to grow down."

I almost shot milk out my nose.  I was not drinking any milk.

But since we were unsure he'd like the actual Peter Pan movie, we Netflixed it (I'm quite sure that's a verb) and let him see it on Saturday.  It was a rainy day, and just perfect for movie watching.

It was really nice to sit down and see Disney's interpretation.  I hadn't seen it in decades.  I didn't get to watch much, but it was really interesting to note that particular era in animation (1953), when some scenes bled back into the soft-edged Snow White or Fantasia days, and others reached forward to The Jungle Book and beyond.

We had his BIDH BOY BEHD mattress delivered that day, and he sat in front of the flatscreen, transfixed as I wrangled and fixed and strategerized about furniture.  I finally got the mattress tentatively anchored to my odd-sized, ancient, heavy iron bed.  It's been in storage for years.  It's unpainted and is varnished only in Briwax.  I bought it for 150 bucks to furnish my first apartment and it weighs as much as a Buick.

It is Jack's new bed. 

So the crib and the renowned Zip-A-Kid Foolproof Incarceration Tent are no more.  It took some time to break it all apart and put everything down in storage.  So we busted our little inmate out of stir, and he's now free to roam and destroy his room at will.  At night.  Oh, and pretty much the rest of the house, too.  Climbed right over the baby gate at the foot of the stairs to come say "Hi" to me at one point.  Uh oh.

We've kinda gone from Birdman of Alcatraz to One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, if you follow.

Majesty tries to put him down for the first official nap in his huge expanse of bed.  Doesn't go well.  His head is about to explode, and she just gives up and leaves.  After a good while, she turns on the monitor and hears him quietly whimpering.  He's managed to solidly wedge himself between the iron headboard and the wall.

I didn't fare much better at nighttime.  We read, and prayed, and sang, but he was still uncontrollably fidgety.  I took off.  After finishing up an installment in our weekend Potterthon, we hear him at about 10:30, still fidgeting away.  I stroll up there and quietly ask him my usual, "Jack? Anything you need to tell Daddy?"  In this comically loud whisper, I get:
JMW:  "That man sells apples in The Babe and I." (Talking about a recent library book.)
EC:  "Yep, he does sell apples in that book.  Anything else you want to tell me?"
JMW:  "Joshua, Judges, Ruth, 1st Samuel, 2nd Samuel, 1st Kings."
We sang a song or two as I tried to stifle my laughter.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Love Jack's new bed. Best wishes through the transition.

bebe said...

New bed looks great with the new bedding. Hope he settles in and is able to have sweet dreams!

Courtney Robertson said...

So I just saw the bedding picture - and the Whately/Robertson similar tastes continues!! Our Jack's big boy bed has a train quilt ALMOST identical to your Jack's! Love how similar our thinking is :) Miss seeing you guys!