.

.

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

There Is Another... Skywalker

I flipped on the color teevee set this weekend.  If you keep up with CJMP on an annual basis, this is sort of rare.  Jack was/is pretty sick, and so I was pulling guard duty for the afternoon while Majesty tried to rest, or something.

There was some golf on, and probably some football games I have zero interest in.  But hey, what's this, The Empire Strikes Back is on.  I flipped it over there for a second.  Because, y'know, why not.  One of my favorites.

After maybe a quarter hour (this "parenting" thing is really hard), I look over to my left.  Jack has been standing there, stock still, eyes locked in on the screen.  "They're in outer space!" he declares as Star Destroyers drift across the screen.  "Daddy, what are those called?" (Those are AT-ATs, Jack.)  He's a pilot! (Yes Jack, Luke's a pilot.)  "Awwtoo!  Where's Awwtoo?" he asks as R2 disappears into the swamp.

It floored me.  We acclimated long ago to Jack's ignoring of whatever we're doing.  He fixates on microphones and guitars and destroying Christmas ornaments and doggedly pulling umpteen pairs of shoes out of our closets.  Darn near killed himself on the stairs while flopping around in my captoe bankers the other day.

But this time, he watched.  And he watched.  And he got in his little squashy chair and watched.  And he didn't move a finger when I put the infamous plaid blanket over him.

He erupted in laughter when kooky old Yoda showed up.  He cackled and belly laughed.  He kept on laughing.  The next overloud advert came on, and I heard him muttering Luke's "Hey!  Get out of there!" cracking himself up all over again.

Then there was a swordfight.  A.  SWORD.  FIGHT.  With SWORDS.  SWORDS THAT GLOW IN THE DARK.  The DARK.  He's kind of a connoisseur of sword fighting.  Considers himself a real expert.  Again, he was transfixed.  I actually caught the moment when those big liquid eyes and brain comprised of mushy bananas took it all in.  There was this slight smile, the kind with a bit of wonder in it, when the blue and red lightsabers started humming and zapping and popping.  He was hooked.  He was hooked just like I was - like almost every little boy of a certain age was - in 1980.

An interesting side note, and one that Majestad pointed out, was that the Dude was completely unfazed by Darth freaking Vader.  When Vader stepped out of that white smoke in the original, a very, very young El Commodoro got right outta town.  I mean, it was abandon ship, every man for himself.  There was no way I was sticking around for whatever the 6-foot-6 guy in total black with a toaster oven on his chest had planned.  That was sixty-five kinds of scary.

Jack isn't the big chicken his dad is, apparently.

All this does cause me to reevaluate this year's decision to keep the (talking!) Vader ornament off the fauxenbaum.  I'm breaking that sucker out, stat.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I need to go out and find a pair of light sabers to send to you guys. Did I mention that I have a Star Wars money bank that plays music, talks, and swings a light saber with sound effects.

Donna said...

I hear Darth Vader saying "I have you now."

No, literally. Marc and Marky are running around with Darth's tie fighter and Luke's x-wing and Darth Vader is talking in his spooky voice.

This is just the beginning- Jack is so cool. (and when my parents took me to the theater to see it when I was little I RAN and SCREAMED when I saw Jabba the Hut- I mean lose-your-mind freak out.)