.

.

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Hot Versus Pretty

I'll try to do an all-encompassing post that gets to the new year shortly.  Today is not that day.

In lieu of me rattling off something (arguably) entertaining, one article really struck me yesterday.  Keep in mind I'm grappling with how to approach parenting one of those crazy old girl feemale type folks.  But boy, er... girl this brief little story was enlightening.

Do parents enthusiastically encouraging their daughters to look "hot" ever think about the commoditization behind it?  I didn't think so, either.

I really like the premise, here:  pretty is the result of a balancing act between beauty and innocence (at all ages).  Let that one soak for a minute.

Original story link is first, with very good analysis second.  Enjoy.


Hot Air:  New Year’s Eve Night Out - Why What Women Wear Actually Matters

There's even a bit more analysis building on the original article here.

1 comment:

Donna said...

I almost put this on my blog (I still may)- this was SUCH a good article- I loved what he said about Grease and how deep down we all thought Sandy was prettier when she was innocent. I have so many thoughts on this topic, but this is not the place. Anyway- glad you are getting this out there. Ending with my favorite quote- that which is beautiful is not always good, that which is good is always beautiful.