.

.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The Coming of Caroline (Brief Version)

Since I've been called out by my only reader, I'll put up this post.  Under protest.  I have a few ideas I want to cover over the next few weeks, but they may have to wait for my eyes to stop burning.

How to begin?  I'm not really keen on vitals, but everyone else seems to be, so:

Birthday:  February 9th
Weight:  I'm told it's rude to ask.  Okay, fine.  7 pounds, 5 ounces
Length:  20.25 inches (precisely the same as Jack, from what I can remember)
Likes:  Music, long walks on the beach, milk products
Dislikes:  "Mean" people (pretty much anyone with a needle), Similac
C-section went well.  Our awesome hippie doctor had Caroline extricated in no time flat, and it was on to the violent crying.  And to the harassment and scrubbing by masked nurse people and some buffoonish clown holding a camera too close.  Actually heard in the recovery area before H-hour:

Nurse Random:  Hey, those are cute shoes.  What kind?
Hippie Doc:  What?  Oh, Keen.
Nurse Random:  Huh?
Hippie Doc:  Keen.  As in "Robert Earl."
You can understand our choice of doctors.

Our nurse in recovery told us we had a friend outside waiting.  It was our supergreat preacher's supergreat wife.  We hugged (apparently we're on hugging terms, now).  She beat EVERYBODY in the family to the punch, both sides.  Quite a feat.

We actually had about 3 or 4 of the same great nurses we got last time with Jack.  Late one night, as Miss Janice strolls into our room,  it was just the best realization as it dawns on me and the missus just who it is.  Miss Janice is this older, stooped, hilarious black nurse that we loved back in 2008.  We love her still.  We're talking catastrophically hilarious, here.  I have many, many just completely non-PC anecdotes.  Make me tell them to you in person where they can't impact my career.

We saw (Baton Rouge's own) Miss Cambra, of 2008's "Oil Change Diaper" video fame, which I probably STILL have not posted on this here blog, some threepointfive years later.  I came in and Majesty was discussing smocking with her.

Girls.

The saintly lactation consultant (you heard me - just ask somebody if you need the 411 on all that business) Miss Sheri returned, too.  Thankfully, she didn't have to pull our bacon out of the fire this time.  Far less dangerous stuff going on with Caroline than with Mr. Dude.

Caroline's calmness in utero continues out here in the free world.  She's the antithesis of everything Jack.  She is matter to his antimatter.  She looks just like he did as a wee little baby, as Jack says.  I told somebody it's oddly like having two identical cars, both beautiful on the outside, but with completely different interiors, engines, circuitry, everything.

THE STEERING WHEEL IS ON THE WRONG SIDE!

We actually forgot Caroline was in the room a few times at the hospital.  She would squeak quietly during a conversation, and each of us would look, stunned, over at her plexi-crib baby shoebox thingy, and then glance back sheepishly at each other.  We forgot.  About our newborn.  WE ARE HORRIBLE PEOPLE AND EVEN WORSE PARENTS.

All our family came down/over and spent a few days with us.  We stuffed a bunch of people into that little hospital room, dude.  Oh, and check out the picture at left - that's Jack's first moment seeing Caroline.  I mean, just check that look out.  That's the best.  I think he'll fill the big brother spot terrifically.

Lastly, if you're interested in helping me rid myself of absolutely free, non-bubblegum, totally and completely legally legal cigars, leave a message in the comments and we'll work out delivery.  Supplies are limited.

4 comments:

Morgan said...

She's beautiful! Congratulations, and enjoy her.

J & J said...

Congratulations! She is beautiful!

Donna said...

LOVE IT! Welcome baby girl! I KNEW she would be the antiJack- we had the exact same thing. I remember being so nervous when they rolled Julia in the room after delivery and then realized she was SO relaxed and calm. After you've driven high octane for three years- this Sunday drive is going to be a breeze! Enjoy!

Jennifer said...

So glad you posted this. I have been checking religiously each day since her birth to see if you had posted. She is beautiful, and I love the picture of Jack seeing her for the first time! I would like to say that our Jack thought briefly about sending Caroline a Valentine's Day card (he's trying to put the moves on her early), but ultimately, he decided that she would not remember that he hadn't sent her one just 5 days post utero.